~

~

The gift to create form, from the mist of imagination, is pure magic!


Friday, December 4, 2009

My Friend



(Click on images to enlarge)
Lost in a fire.

I like to spend time with myself, alone, may be with a book, or just listening to music or better still, day dreaming, but I am not a loner. I do not have a reclusive life style and I am scared of loneliness! That is exactly why someone's friendship is such a precious gift to me. I treat my family members as friends and my friends as family! Some think I'm insane, confused and entirely unreliable but then, the concept of sanity itself is debateable. Alas! Such 'sane' characters never become my friends. I believe, my friends to be of mythical character! Who else will have the patience to bear with me, my tantrums, eccentricities, illogical demands and overwhelming need to be loved! This series of pen drawings is a tribute to all those friends of mine, those who are beside me now, those who may be far away but still nurturing me in their thoughts, those who know me more than my own self and those whom I have lost forever!

2 comments:

stefan (sth22art) said...

I really love this series ...each one is very emotional. The way you draw them is gorgeous!
Is there a special meaning of the unicorn in indian culture/religion?

Rudra said...

Thank you very much for the lovely comment! I am honoured! The Unicorn does not have any particular importance in Indian Mythology but has a very interesting history! Though the unicorn came into existence in Greek mythology, The Greeks used to believe that the unicorn really existed in the fabled lands of India!!! Greek naturalists have documented that India had a rare species of Wild Asses, larger and faster than the horse, white in colour and a single horn protruding from its forehead! So, India is the birthplace of Unicorns! Unicorns symbolize truth and purity; they are fierce yet good, selfless yet solitary and mysteriously beautiful! They only come close to those who are innocent and pure at heart! Their horns are supposed to neutralize poison. I have used the unicorn imagery here as a symbol of whatever is true and selfless in friendship.